I am not a blogger by profession, so don’t take my words for granted. The things that attract me to a blog are listed here. Its mostly commonsense, but you know what they say, common sense is not all that common.
- Keep it Short & Simple (KISS) : I like blogs that are short and succinct. Three paragraphs are ideal ( about 5-10 lines each paragraph). Anything more and I find myself racing to the end or loosing interest
- Mind your Manners : I am a stickler for spelling and grammar. (no surprises there)
- Keep your distance : I know that some times you have 2 or 3 posts that you just have to push out, but have patience, time it so that people have time to process each post. When you release it all together 2 out 3 gets lost.
- Picture it : You know a picture is worth a thousand words. Have at least one image per post.
- Answer the question : If you read an article where the blogger is asking an opinion or advice, don’t just like the article and move on. They didn’t ask you to like it, they asked you for an opinion, so give one.
- Follow the Follower : Don’t get all uppity when some one follows you, Have the courtesy to follow them back. Its just good manners.
- Comment the commenter : Its always good to say thank you to people who leaves comments.
- Personalize your name: Add a face to your blog or say something about yourself in your Gravitar.
- Writers Block: When you are going through a dry patch, write something about yourself. Everyone loves a bit of gossip. Let it flow from the heart
- Two line poems: Seriously, no body cares about your 2 line poems. Make something worthwhile out of it.
- Be like the liker: When someone likes your blog, It makes sense to know the person who liked your blog. So go visit their blog and say hi, if you must. I know this is not always practical and you may not have the time for it… but when you do, please do!!!