1. WordPress powers almost 27 percent of the entire internet.
As already stated in the beginning, WordPress is by far the most popular CMS on the web. However, you might not be aware just how popular the platform has become.
First of all, its market share among all content management systems is close to 60 percent. What’s more, its closest competitor Joomla (here is a comparison of the two CMS) is used by only 6.3 percent. Yes, that’s the second most popular content management system in the world!
The bigger surprise, however, and by far the most impressive WordPress usage statistic is that 26.9 percent of all websites on the web now use WordPress. With more than one billion websites online today, I’ll let you do the math how many sites in total that is. I know, I was as surprised as you are!
WordPress usage and popularity
- WORDPRESS RUNS 4.5% OF THE ENTIRE INTERNET. 
- 50-60% is WordPress’ share of the global CMS market – making it the most popular CMS of them all. 
- New York Observer, New York Post, TED, Thought Catalog, Williams, USA Today, CNN, Fortune.com, TIME.com, National Post, Spotify, TechCrunch, CBS Local, NBC all use WordPress. 
- 17 posts are published every second on WordPress sites around the world. 
- 37 million global Google searches for “WordPress” are made per month. 
Around 15,886,000 websites on the entire web use WordPress. 
- 8% of the top 100 blogs according to Technorati are managed with WordPress. 
- 2,645 of the top 10k websites on the web use WordPress. 
- 22,111 of the top 100k websites use WordPress. 
- 297,629 of the top 1M websites use WordPress. 
In 2014, non-English WordPress downloads surpassed English downloads for the first time. 22% of new domains in the US are run with WordPress. WordPress as a CMS (47%) is nearly 12 times more popular than Drupal (4%) in India.
If I follow someone on WP, All I can see in my reader are the blog that I follow. I find that very annoying because I would like to see what others are blogging about….